Duck, Duck, Goose! Upcoming Waterfowl Seasons SetAugust 15th, 2011
After a good production year in the breeding grounds, waterfowl bag limits for ducks remain the same from last year, which is the maximum allowed by the federal waterfowl framework: 6 ducks per day of which no more than three can be wood ducks, two pintails, one black duck, two redheads, two scaup, one canvasback, and four mallards (no more than one hen, which has been a standard practice in Michigan).
The Canada Goose limit also remains the same at five for the early and late seasons, and two for the regular season. The daily bag limit for snow, blue, and Ross’ geese is 20, while the limit for white-fronted geese and brant is 1 per day.
Season length for the duck season stays at 60 days. For geese, the early season will be 10 days in the U.P and 15 days in the rest of the state, with an additional 30 days for the late season in southern Michigan. Regular goose season is 45 days.
- NORTH ZONE—September 24 to November 18 and November 24 to November 27
- MIDDLE ZONE—October 1 to November 27 and December 3 to December 4
- SOUTH ZONE—October 8 to December 4 and December 10 to December 11
CANADA GOOSE SEASON
- NORTH ZONE—September 1-10
- REMAINDER OF STATE (except Saginaw, Tuscola, and Huron Counties)—September 1-15
- SAGINAW, TUSCOLA, AND HURON COUNTIES—September 1-10
- NORTH ZONE—September 17 to October 31
- MIDDLE ZONE—October 1 to November 8 and November 24 to November 27 and December 3 to December 4
- SOUTH ZONE—October 8 to November 10 and November 24 to December 4
Goose Management Units (GMU)
- Saginaw County GMU—October 8 to November 10, November 24 to December 4, and December 31 to January 29, 2012
- Tuscola/Huron GMU—October 8 to November 10, November 24 to December 4, and December 31 to January 29, 2012
- Allegan County GMU—November 12 to November 30, December 10 to December 20, and December 31 to January 14, 2012
- Muskegon Waste Water GMU—October 11 to November 13, and December 1 to December 11
Late Season (South Zone Only)—December 31 to January 29, 2012
Same dates as regular and late goose seasons in respective zones and GMUs
Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Committee
Each year, the Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Committee gives input to the DNR to set the season dates and bag limits to the waterfowl season. First meeting in early March and again in August, the committee is comprised of a diverse geographic representation of hunters and waterfowl hunting organizations, who receive updates on waterfowl population data and habitat conditions, discuss the results of past seasons, and vote on their recommendations to the DNR and NRC.
MUCC’s represented on this committee by Steve Wyckoff, so if you would like to pass on your thoughts/insights on this season’s structure or other suggestions, please leave comments below or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. The next meeting of CWAC will be at the RAM Center on Saturday, March 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM and is open to the public.